Shopify is a Software As A Service eCommerce system that will meet a variety of needs depending on your business model. If your needs are not very complex and you want a way to sell your products easily then Shopify may be for you.
Here are some reasons why we would suggest Shopify:
- No technical skills needed to build a store.
- There are plenty of themes to choose from that can be used to match the look and feel of your business.
- Adding products and content to your store is made easy through the user interface.
- Payments and shipping are easy to setup and provided by Shopify.
- If you want extended features and functionality there are 1000+ apps to choose from, both free and paid.
- Progressive Web App functionality available through a variety of apps.
- Shopify takes care of system updates, security, PCI Compliance. There’s nothing for you to do other than run your store.
All of these features and functionality does come with a price and some limitations.
- You have to pay a monthly fee and the minimum is $29 per month.
- You have to use their payment system which is 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction.
- If you choose to use your own payment system your fee goes up 1%.
- If you have specific ideas for your design and layout you may need to hire a developer to build what you need.
- There is a learning curve to using their system.
- If you need added functionality you can get an app. But almost all apps come with a monthly fee which adds to your monthly costs.
- If there is a functionality you need but can not find an app for, then you may not be able to meet that need.
- You need a specific developer that works on the Shopify platform.
- If you decide you don’t want to use Shopify at some point down the road, you will have to start over. You can’t take the theme with you and use the code with some other platform.
You can always hire a development agency to get everything setup for you and when the site is ready, turn the keys over to your store so you can manage it from there.
With any system there are pros and cons. If you are looking to sell products on the internet, please feel free to reach out to us and we would be happy to discuss your options and what eCommerce solution may best suit your business needs.
#shopify #ecommerce #webdeveloper #onlinebusiness #entrepreneur